Sunday, June 29, 2008

Congratulations Spain!

As a graduate of a 5-week summer Spanish program in Madrid, and a fairweather soccer fan, I feel a special connection to Spain's victory over Germany for the 2008 Euro title this past weekend. I would like to congratulate the team for winning this thrilling tournament that I watched over my lunch break on numerous occasions. A Spanish victory gave me the opportunity to reminisce about the fateful summer I spent there, drinking until 6 a.m., and attending classes in the afternoon. My cultural and social experiences there really shaped and changed me in ways I could have never imagined. Unfortunately, they still didn't make me a soccer fan. But I am a sports fan, so I can at least say that I was into the Euro Championship...or tried really hard to be. And I at least know how the Spanish people party, so I like to think I know what the celebrations going on right now are like. So once again, congratulations Spain, for your 1-0 victory over Germany, and first Euro title in 44 years! Beba un poco de sangría para mí. (Five weeks of Spanish classes confirms that my babelfish translation of, "Drink some sangria for me," has all of the necessary words. The arrangement of them, however, is not guaranteed.)

Here's what others in the blogosphere are saying:

http://capital-balls.com/news/spain-beats-germany-1-0-to-claim-euro-2008-trophy/

http://vivirlatino.com/2008/06/29/spain-beats-germany-wins-eurocup.php

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/79399,viva-espana-spain-beats-germany-in-final.aspx?r=rss

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Member of Image hosting by Photobucket

Humor 
Blog Top Sites